coffee and chocolate. name a better duo.
I can’t wait because that will take forever, and you need to get onto making these cookies.
F U N F A C T !
the coffee bean and the cocoa bean are both plant seeds called “beans” and they both have stimulating properties. caffeine for coffee and theobromine for cocoa. AKA the perfect 3 PM slump pick-me-up. the perfect after-school/work/nap/shopping/anything treat.
I love the classic chocolate chip cookie. that’s why it’s a classic. It is loved and adored by practically everyone. however, the holidays are calling for something more indulgent this year.
* I T ‘ S A C E L E B R A T I O N *
celebrate good times c’mon!!!
how was this recipe born? well, to start I love grocery stores. I am in awe of how everything is so ready and available. most people want to get in-and-out of the grocery store; but, I want to linger. loitering as some employees would call it. wandering around and looking at ingredients lets my brain run with fun ideas.
so there I was, exploring the grocery store (Sprouts specifically) like the weirdo I am. while wandering I came across bins of stuff. there are all kinds of bins; trail mix, grains, candy, etc. I especially like the dark chocolate covered ________ (fill in the blank) bins. yum. I found that one of these bins had COFFEE FLOUR. YES. coffee flour! I immediately thought of making coffee/chocolate cookies. thank goodness I did because it led to this delicious brainchild.
turns out, Coffee Flour is an amazing thing.
1. Coffee Flour uses the fruit that surrounds the coffee bean (the cherry) that would otherwise be discarded in the harvesting process. (nature’s wasted superfood stated by Paste Magazine) this reduces waste and helps poor coffee farmers earn more money!!!
2. coffee cherries are super nutritious!!! they have 3x more protein per gram than fresh kale, more natural fiber than wheat, and are gluten-free!
3. it is delicious.
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup Coffee Flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 sticks butter or 1 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips
- optional powdered sugar
- beat room temperature butter or oil, sugars, and vanilla together until smooth
- add eggs and gently beat until mixed in
- in a separate bowl, combine and mix flours and baking soda
- gradually beat in flour mixture to wet ingredients
- stir in chocolate chips
- *optional- chill in fridge for 1-3 hours for better results
- roll into 1 inch sized balls
- bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes
- let cool and sprinkle on powdered sugar for a fun winter look
- these cookies don't spread out while in the oven like most chocolate chip cookies because coffee flour and cocoa powder are dense. however, they are still moist. if you do want them to flatten out you can either reduce the amount of flour or add more butter and brown sugar.