do you ever get a MEXI-CRAVING?? I do. this meal is for those days when you feel like you need strength…
…some good fuel. it’s got veggies, protein, flavor, and comfort. the gang is all here.
this pic is for all my non-vegetarians out there. sometimes I want to be a vegetarian but then I have chicken again and there is no resistance. uhm…hehe. I cooouuuuld survive off delicious veggies alone, but why limit myself? I’m a barbarian. truly sorry.
to make this dish vegetarian, you can simply swap out the chicken for sauteed tofu or more black beans (toot toot).
I’m a big fan of Mexican food. I’m also a fan of American casseroles and gatherings, which is why this meal is perfect. something beautiful is to be said about Americanized Mexican food. really, to be honest, everything American is something stolen from another country so we might as well just call this dish Mexican ~inspired~ American. there are three layers of black beans, corn, chicken, cheese, sauce, and tortillas all under a top crust of tortillas/cheese/sauce/cilantro/and avocado. these toppings stack perfectly to create a glorious bed of goodness. please break out the ~C H I P S A N D S A L S A~ while you wait for these delicious layers to melt together in the oven.
the extra topping of tortilla/sauce/cheese really helps hold together the casserole and complete the dish. it cradles and supports the yummy inner toppings as they travel to your mouth! casseroles are perfect for gatherings because everyone can have the perfect sized slice they desire.
if you’re like me- you have a craving for Mexican on the reg. a MEXI-CRAVING. I really enjoy authentic Mexican, but Mexican ~inspired~ American food is a favorite of mine tooooo 🙂 I still use corn tortillas because they are authentically true and I also believe that corn tortillas truly taste better. their texture may not be as easy as flour tortillas, but the sweet corn flavor is so much better. you might disagree… in which case there is nothing I can do to help your poor flour tortilla soul 😉
C H E E S E P L E A S E
- 3 cups green verde enchilada sauce
- 18 corn tortillas
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 can whole kernal corn, drained
- 4 chicken breasts, shredded, cooked
- 3 cups Mexican blend cheese
- 1 avocado, diced
- chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- B E G I N Y O U R L A Y E R S 🙂
- (save a little enchilada sauce and cheese for the top topping)
- Cover the bottom of the baking dish with 3/4 cup enchilada sauce.
- Add a layer of about 9 tortilla halves so that the entire dish is covered.
- Sprinkle evenly with about 2/3 cup of black beans and 1/3 cup corn.
- Top with 1/3 of the shredded chicken, and about 1 cup shredded cheese.
- Repeat two more times and then top with a 4th layer of tortillas and sprinkle extra cheese and sauce on top.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil, then bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove pan and remove aluminum foil.
- Sprinkle the top of the enchiladas evenly with the remaining 3/4 cup of cheese, then return to the oven (uncovered) and bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Remove pan, and sprinkle with avocado, cilantro.
- EN J O Y